Start humming the famous Disney tune sung by Jiminy Cricket titled "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are, anything your heart desires will come to you..."
Now start singing along with the fun loving bear Baloo in the infectious song titled "Bare Necessities" . Can you can tell that I am a big fan of Disney tunes?
But what exactly do these Disney songs have to do with making end-of-life plans?
Besides the opinion that I think these songs are classic and great, I also think the lyrics and their messages are great.
First of all, making your wishes known, no matter who you are, will help your wishes come true for you in the end.
And the simple " bare necessities" needed, and easily documented will "eliminate your cares and your strife" so you can "rest at ease" at the end of your life!
Below is a list of some very important documents that everyone should execute, no matter what age they are.
I would go even further and state that some of these documents should be included as part of the process of applying for and getting a drivers license!
Not to be morbid, but the incidents of fatalities in young inexperienced drivers is high, raising the risks of serious injuries or even fatal accidents and raising the probabilty of needing someone's wishes documented in the event of incapacity.
Everyone needs someone to be their advocate and decide on proper medical care and, above all, honor and follow your wishes.
Here are the "bare necessities" of advance directives:
- A living will- to state your wishes if or when you can't make those decisions for yourself
- Name surrogates or advocates for your health care
- Do Not Resuscitate (DNR) document or a Do Not Attempt Resuscitation (DNAR) document
- Durable power of attorney for healthcare (DPOA)-name someone who will make medical decisions for you if you are too ill
- Physicians orders for life-sustaining treatment (POLST)
- Organ/Body donation- you can put this on your drivers license or get an organ donor card
- A letter of instructions to guide your family members and specify your wishes
If you want your wishes to come true and you want to rest at ease and eliminate your cares and strife then take charge, plan and execute your advance directives.
You will be doing yourself a favor and your loved ones a huge favor.
What else do you need to eliminate your cares and strife?
Besides just dancing along with Baloo, the bear?